Welcome

The DIY Health and Wellness Blog mission is to empower readers with knowledge and tools to strengthen ourselves so we don't get sick (or need doctors) in the first place. And for the times when we do get sick, to provide alternative therapies that seek to strengthen our body's power to heal itself.
We try to give credence to western medicine when due, but also place high regard for oriental and other traditional and ethnic medical practices that view the body holistically, and whose focus is balance and enlivening our body's own intrinsic strength and well-being.
Yours for Health and Wellness!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Practicing Self-referral

People commonly say that we see our own selves the least clearly. In contrast, it seems we can easily see faults in others. One of my earliest rational lessons in self-referral, and the one that has been perhaps the most enlightening, occurred to me in my teens.

I thought that when pointing a finger, figuratively, at another person in judgment, I should instead point that finger at myself and ask if the same were not true of me. Years later I later read in the vedic classic The Bhagavad-Gita that 'the world is as you are.' This saying describes why pointing our finger in judgment at another person is really just pointing that same finger at ourselves.

The next trick is to use that awareness for self-growth.

No comments: